Choose a good quality protein powder when making a smoothie. Look for New Zealand Whey, Whey Isolate, or a mixed-source vegetarian protein. Ensuring your body has enough protein will help to cover your bases when it comes to optimal functioning as well as sustaining or building muscle mass. The average daily intake of protein should be 0.8g/kg of body mass, but for athletes this intake increases to 1.2-1.6g/kg of body mass.
1 scoop protein powder 1 cup milk (rice, almond, soy, etc) Your choice of:
• 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen berries
• 1⁄2 banana
• 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1⁄2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp honey
• 1⁄2 cup apple sauce and 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 cup pineapple and 2 tbsp coconut milk
• Substitute milk for 1 cup brewed chai tea and 1⁄2 cup milk
• Any seasonal fruits available!
Blend together until smooth. Enjoy!